I think I've seen this same file-loading issue when using the python
interface. The "program_open" python command loads a G-code program, but
the GUI doesn't reflect the change by reloading the live plot or the G code
display. Looking into the axis.py script, the open_file_guts function at
line 1040 loads the program internally using program_open(), then re-reads
the program to parse the plot and display the text in a nice format.  It
seems like this bit of extra processing is not triggered by an external
command through linuxcncrsh or the python interface. Hitting reload seems
to reload the old file because the program path stored in axis' internals
doesn't match the currently loaded program anymore.  I can't say how easy
or hard it would be to fix, though.