Am 01.03.2014 um 18:19 schrieb W. Martinjak <mats...@play-pla.net>:

> It seems the thrill of joy has gone.... ;)

not for me - in fact I think it as reassuring to see we to converge on the same
concept: Web UI interaction will happen over Websockets, and with JSON objects
mapped to internal representation at the boundary; it is the approach taken by
Peter Jensen with rockhopper, and  (minus websockets) also the approach Sergey
has taken in emcweb.

The current implementation uses a Websockets proxy server based on
libwebsockets (http://libwebsockets.org/trac/libwebsockets). That is a
relatively low level bridge, but it is very fast, has a stable API, and the
package is well supported by author and community. It also builds easily. So
it's a safe stopgap.

I see several interesting alternatives to libwebsockets/C:

One would be to use node.js instead. There are several advantages to that, in
particular it makes it much easier to to server-side extensions (in JavaScript
instead of C), and many required bindings (zeroMQ, protobuf, Websockets) are
available stock for node.js . The reason why I am not using node.js yet at this
point in time is: this target still moves too fast.

Another one would be to do the proxy in Go: also, all bindings available stock,
and very fast. It is another interpretive language, and a bit heavy to require
up front. It has significant potential for near-RT operation relative to
Python; it is still a garbage-collecting language and hence not hard-RT capable.

The third stock option one would be twisted, and an-all Python proxy.

I think it really boils down to quality and effort to build prerequisites. But
certainly there is room for experimentation and alternatives.

In fact I would be very interested to cooperate with a person knowledgeable in
node.js for a prototype interface to what I already have. Any takers?

- Michael