On 29 March 2014 00:01, Pete Matos <petefro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would not recommend putting anything on your plate that can build up at
> all.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, in practice I think it is
probably a non-issue.

I worked for several years as a metallurgist, the difference between a
gloss and matt finish was the 1000 grit paper (and the 1um dimond for
the really shiny stuff)

Your reference gauges etc will not drop into the finish. Flat is flat
in the macro sense. I think that the standard for iron plates is a few
dozen points per square inch.

But, if you want shiny, then I really don't see car wax supporting the
weight of your height gauge.

Matt will hold more blue. That could be a plus.

I want this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorton-Master-Surface-Plate-Historical-Vintage-Original-8000lbs-MSP-1928-/161246759544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258b0e4a78

Now that is a surface plate. And it is not shiny. Look at the plate.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.