On 05/14/2014 04:48 PM, rayj wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone point me to a good diagram or description of the 9 axes and
> their typical uses?  I get x,y,z,and a, but from there I can't find any
> clear diagrams.  I'm guessing they would be defined 1 way in a CNC
> center and differently in controlling the motion of a robotic arm.  Just
> looking for a place where I can study, instead of spending hours surfing
> and looking at fragmented and conflicting info.
>
> TIA

for pictures of the relations...
http://www.globalspec.com/reference/76593/203279/multiaxis-machine-configurations

for examples of how machines _might_ use thes axis:
http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/cnc_machines.html

there are many classic machine tool configurations

sometimes the ABC merely 'pose' the part
often, 2 angular axis are sufficient, and 3 are not necessary
sometimes the ABC are interpolated, depends on the cnc control

the UVW are sometimes used to move the xyz work space about in a large
envelope,or W might simply adapt Z by moving the spindle stroke range
into the work zone.

UV can oscillate the spindle ( EDM orbiting or trochoidal machining)

google up an xy turntable mounted on a bridgeport to see a crazy way to
mill pockets in a mold base (thats xyz c uv)

The array of combinations is large.
try google images for 'multi axis cnc'

remember basics:
some machines spin the tool and hold work still (mill, grinder, drill)
some machines spin the work and hold tool still (lathe)
some machines dont spin anything (punch, EDM)
and more variants than this short list

HTH
tjtr33  tomp

xyzab are common,
example: part is rotated and tilted by ab mounted above xy table
or
part is aligned to xy travel on xy table
  but spindle has yaw and pitch ( google nutating head)

the C is used insink edm to turn tool to an angle to the X axis (eg
radial array of slots)