IMHO, there’s a big “it depends” issue when we look at advice on computers.

As I see it, there are at least three types of users —

The first is the person who’s using their machines to make a living, or at
least to turn a buck. For that user, I’d most likely recommend building your
own computer using various motherboards, video boards, and I/O boards that
places like Microcenter offer. Everything would be purchased new and would be
replaceable. I’d also suggest purchasing additional I/O boards as these are
what I’e expect to fail more often than the hard drive or mother board, etc.
When you’re looking to use your machine as part of your livelihood, you don’t
want to rely on a bunch of old used equipment. A failure could result in a
significant loss - more than you’d spend for a current state-of-the-art system.
They’ll also want to use the latest version of EMC/LinuxCNC once it’s been out
for a while.

The next person is the one who has metalworking as their hobby, or as a major
part of their hobby. They’re not trying to turn a buck with their tools, but
they’re generally found puttering in the shop making “this or that.” Here, they
don’t need the latest and greatest - recently retired will do - but you want
something that’s fast and and has replacement parts available. The PCG or
Cybernet Elite II won’t cut the mustard. Too old, too slow, often not enough
memory. They might be on the bleeding edge of being the first to install and
try out the latest versions of EMC/LinuxCNC, depending on where their interests
lie.

And, finally, you come to folks like me. I purchased a Sherline mill & lathe
when I retired fourteen years ago - gads, has it been that long? - with the
intention of building a brass locomotive. I’m in the “desktop machine” league,
which tends to limit the speed at which I can do things. This plays well with
using older equipment that can’t generate robust step pulses at high rates. But
the PCG’s will support 20 ipm rapids with Sherline’s 20 tpi leadscrews and 4
microsteps per step motor drives. I don’t use these tools every day.

Model trains and woodworking are my main hobbies. Metalworking is a sideline as
necessary to support the main hobbies. I did a lot of factory automation
projects when I was working - putting cameras, computers, and motors on
manufacturing equipment to make or inspect things - so I’ve got some knowledge
of computers and am not afraid of taking things apart.

I’ve no real need to keep up with the latest and greatest version of
EMC/LinuxCNC as long as the version I’m using allows me to do the things that I
want to do. I’ve also played a lot with TurboCNC for DOS but it’s pretty much
been abandoned which is why I moved to EMC. Obsolete computers that come
cheaply work for me. Quite frankly, I was surprised that EMC V8 runs so nicely
on the PCG that I bought when that machine was the state of the art. So much so
that I’ve purchased a few extra Sony PCG's and have EMC installed on them,
ready to go, in the event that the ones connected to my machines fail. I’ve
found that eBay’s “buy it now” is my friend.

BTW, I doubt that I’ll ever get that brass loco built, but I’m having fun
building an Arduino based control system for the trains and using the Sherline
mill to make circuit boards.

Jerry Jankura
So many toys. . . So little time . . .