On 4 June 2014 08:17, Marius Liebenberg <mar...@mastercut.co.za> wrote:

> How do the regular users do this please? All help is greatly appreciated :)

If you are changing tools mid-job then each tool that you are going to
use needs to be in a holder.
If you need to move tools between holders, then you will find it
easier to split the job.

I have a turning and facing tool that is designated as tool1 and that
always has zero in the offsets.
Using the Axis interface it is a bit too easy to mistakenly touch off
an axis when you meant to touch off a tool, and vice-versa. If I
accidentally put a tool offset in tool 1 then G10 L1 P1 Z0 X0 recovers
the situation.

I generally jog the tool up close to the work, touch-off the current
position to (for example) 0.5mm in the current coordinate system, then
face-off to Z = 0.

I then take a test cut, measure with a micrometer, and touch-off the X
to the measured diameter.

That is normally enough, as my other tools have all been set up
relative to Tool 1 previously. But if not, then the process is
repeated for the other tools, but touching-off into the tool, not
axis, offsets.

If my home switch was more repeatable then stage 1 would be a one-time
thing too.

For boring bars I set the Z=0 using a broken 6mm milling cutter rather
than with a test cut. Put the tip less than 6mm from the reference
face, hold the milling cutter in the gap, and slowly jog away from the
work until the cutter pops through the gap (much safer than jogging
_on_ to a test block)

if your QC toolpost isn't very repeatable then you might need to swap
parts rather than tools.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.