On Saturday 05 July 2014 19:08:34 John Alexander Stewart did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Andy, Marcus, Claude, Gene;
>
> Thanks for the feedback and the link.
>
> I logged back on to say that I had purchased some of those DM856
> controllers, enough for my 4 axis mill build, plus one spare, just in
> case.
>
> I do have a larger lathe that I'm trying to get myself to CNC - an Emco
> Compact-8, and those hybrid drives seem really interesting… My little
> Unimat SL- CNC job might have to be put out to pasture when all is
> completed.
>
> Thanks all;  JohnS.

I am glad you found the info useful John.

Question, did you have the unimat equipt with a spindle encoder so it is
capable of going a G33.1 rigid tap operation? Or a g76 threading
operation?  Both of those are handier than sliced bread.

My hal file is a monster, but I have a 7x12 doing that now, in a peck loop
with a wrapper script I've written, in GCode of course.  I mount the tap
in a chuck on the tool post.