On 12/3/2014 2:03 PM, Evan Foss wrote:

> Moisture is the death of a lot of stuff. Sometimes before it is even
> assembled. A lot of parts now are packed at the factory with descant
> so that they will stay dry. Failure to dry them before soldering can
> cause the parts to break like popcorn.

One model of Diablo 630 daisy wheel printer had a batch of control
boards assembled with a chip made in a plant where there was no humidity
control. The chips got encapsulated with some water inside.

At some point after being turned on, that chip would short out and send
full power to every motor and solenoid.

It would have been fun to watch one of those attempting to slam the
carriage out one end of the housing while spewing petals off the print
wheel while the print hammer carved a spiral grove along the spinning
platen roller. Would've made a heck of a bang since a 630 could move its
very heavy carriage 15" in a bit over 0.1 second.

I still think it's humorous that the reason Diablo printers existed was
because the team at Singer (yup, the sewing machine company) that
designed the original HyType daisy wheel printer all quit and formed
Diablo after Singer's management didn't see any future in the computer
printer business. (Seems there were a lot of dumb management decisions
in the 1980's about computing products.)

---