On Wednesday, January 07, 2015 09:28:56 AM Stephen Dubovsky did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Slice the buttons off some donors.  We have elastomeric keypads made
> for us (offshore) and AFAIK, they drop the carbon buttons in the
> molds and inject the elastomer.  They can be cut off w/ an exacto
> knife.  I don't have any raw buttons but I could send you some
> keypads that have 4 per.  Though is probably easier/faster/cheaper to
> just find an old phone/toy/etc and sacrifice it for parts.
>
> SMD

If you want to fix it right AND forever, Alps make some environmentally
sealed button switches. In a package about 5/16" square and perhaps 1/4"
tall that are rated for many millions of presses. Good, clicky tactile
feel, you could hide then under the button top you already have.  Or they
can be left out in the weather for a decade or 2, mounted as radio
station changer buttons on a chair car motorcycle. Weather hasn't bother
them a bit.