When you do derivative work in accordance to GPL you are supposed to
publish
your alterations with the source code in its full for other to do
derivative work off of that.
(In Accordance with the GPL licensing form, even the LGPL has this
clause and is clearly stated.)

You are allowed to make money off of GPL licensed software in the form
of service
and support costs - for like setting it up, making stuff work and so on.
The absolute best example of this is Redhat Enterprise products - they
are great at
licensing their support and service on top of GPL software they have
programmed and
released back to the eco system in form of source and documentation.

They don't support or service what they make in-house and release back -
unless you pay
for it, and that is Ok - and remember, they develop ALOT of code for
Linux based systems.
If they started to withold parts of that work and apply a cost to it -
well lets say Linux would
not have been as widespread as it is today.

And i dont think the interest for LinuxCNC would dwindle soon, it has
been around for a long
time, and you have forks like machinekit that will make the work go forward.
Its like saying Debian would go away if Ubuntu havent existed.. (an
example of derivative work)

// Andreas