On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 03:00:31 AM Andreas Pettersson wrote:
> Well in respect for John that i have a dialog with i think i toned it
> down quite a bit and did not
> engage in a full on flame war - which i could have. ;)
>
> One could be alot of more aggressive in this regard and contact a
> couple of organisations
> that goes after companies that does this in the courts. (They are
> funded by the GPL author.)
>
> So no i will not apologize to a company that clearly makes money off of
> GPL software
> without full-filling the license agreement they accepted when using
> that piece of software
> (I'm quite religious when it comes to Open Source, because i have based
> my whole career off of it)
>
> // Andreas
>
> andy pugh skrev den 2015-02-18 01:38:
> > On 18 February 2015 at 00:28, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >> In any event, an apology from Andreas would not be out of line.
> >
> > Well, as YouTube comments go it was unusually complimentary :-)

I am not sure how to counter this and your emphasis on the GPL.
I think your understanding of GPL seems to preclude any consideration of
the fact that in LinuxCNC's rather lengthy history, it did not start out
as GPL, because it started well before the GPL even existed.

There was a time, back up the log a ways now, what 30 years?, when what
has become LinuxCNC was not GPL, but was what N.I.S.T. released as I
believe, Public Domain to get the technology kick-started into american
manufacturing.  That, to my knowledge (I can be educated in that regard),
has no carved in the law release source rules that the GPL does have.
Improvements in that original code base, compiled into a searchable patch
database would by now be several gigabytes, and many of those improvements
have carried a GPL into some of it, but not all.  There is an effort being
made to excise the non-gpl bits and pieces being made, but Seb K. could
probably offer more accurate comments regarding the status of that effort
since I'm not privy to that discussion.

In any event, I still think you paint them (Tormach) with much too black a
brush.

One of the things I have learned in my 80 years, is that the hand that
feeds you should be thanked. The OP in this thread was not in that
category.

I'll get me coat now.