You are right, there are more bandwidth but there may be collisions. I do not
now about the switches but for old HUBs the full bandwidth can't be used
because of collision and there actually is a statistical upper limit below
maximum capacity. Worst case delay is of course higher.

For ethercat full bandwidth can be utilized without collisions even if there
are several devices. I have chosen ethernet because I think it will be good
enough, it is available in almost all computers and there are cheap development
boards available with 100Mbit ethernet.

I think Ethercat make a lot of sensors for manufacturers since there are no
collisions or statistics involved so they could prove the system work correct
but for a machine built to be used by yourself this proof is rather useless.

Nicklas Karlsson