Yes a shield has two primary jobs but ground impedance is far from zero at
high frequency. The shield will not stay at fixed potential at high
frequency for a noise source.

If there are three-phase input and a ground Cable summed current thru all
four may be zero but there may be a current flow from the three-phase
Cable to to ground cable. At high frequency impedance in ground cable is
far from zero and there will noise on the ground cable.

Nicklas Karlsson