We've had this discussion within MadCAM users, the guys running older
machines (non converted or with old drivers) loses speed and sometimes the
G-code comes out too big for the machine memory. So there's a need for it,

Frank Tkalcevic, that's the guy who made the g1ToG23 script. Really clever
little thing.
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinesToArcs
Here's the original mail from June 2013:

*It will take a gcode file (only tested with Slic3r output) and convert
themany short line segments back to arcs.  It can make a huge difference
toprint speed and file size if there are lots of arcs.It's slow, but has
been reliable over the last couple of months.Frank*

If you search the mail archive
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.user/44529> you'll
find the mail thread.