On 5/1/2015 10:08 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 1 May 2015 at 14:34, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Making a poly-V belt pulley is simple lathe work.  Making a timing
>> belt pulley means cutting the teeth.  Much more complicated.
> You just need to know the right people:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmZrDrt6pQ

Are you taking orders?

I wanted to order two custom HTD pulleys last year - about October time
frame.    Standard pulleys were not available that could be re-machined
to work.
One was about 5" in diameter, the other about 2 1/2" diameter.
There is a custom pulley manufacturer in Laporte, Indiana, USA about two
hours from me and I sent them the specs and I got a quote back for about
$450 for both of them.   The lead time to get the pulleys was about 6
weeks.   My customer was anxious (he was anxious about everything) and
money was not an issue.   So I called the manufacturer and asked them if
the pulleys could be made in less time - and that I was willing to pay a
lot more.   They called back and said no, they could not be made in less
than 6 weeks no matter what the cost!   Machinists (not machine
operators) are in short supply in the Midwest USA and that seems to be
creating situations like this.   I gave up on the custom pulleys and
ended up using twin V belts which was a lot less desirable.

Dave

---