I've been trying to figure out how to use an android tablet over USB as a
remote display+touchscreen input, for instance as a DRO.  There are 7"
tablets costing under $40, e.g. Azpen A700 that was widely available at
MicroCenter, so this is a cool and inexpensive possibility.

On the tablet, I installed X11 server app from the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=x.org.server&hl=en

and ran a test program (attached) on the main PC talking to the X server on
the tablet via USB:

DISPLAY=192.168.1.11:0  wish testbuttons.tcl

It runs fine, although the mouse interaction is awkward (have to slide the
cursor to the target first before tapping to click).