On 6/6/2015 7:06 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 06 June 2015 16:52:08 Dave Cole wrote:
>> I've been around for a while and worked with current loop serial
>> interfaces, rs232, rs422/485, Ethernet (back when thicknet was
>> standard)  etc.
>>
>> Why in world would you not use Ethernet??    It leaves you with so
>> many options that are not available with RS485.
>>
>> I would join the Ethercat group, pay them some $$, get some source
>> code and use what has already been developed and use every tool that
>> they have already developed.
>>
>> No need to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>> Dave
> All well and good Dave, but how do we, in a cashless group, manage to
> find the sheckles to pay for a seat at that table?  And how much is that
> seat, one time or annual dues?
>
> Heck of a good bunch questions, that.
>
> FWIW, I once enquired about a seat at the USB table.  But $25k a year was
> not in my budget.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

 From the Ethercat Technology Group membership application page:

The membership cost is pretty low... !!!  :-)

And there are some sample Ethercat master and slave source code available

http://www.ethercat.org/en/products/4F84049B9950437FB34749A52AB20786.htm
http://www.ethercat.org/en/products/54FA3235E29643BC805BDD807DF199DE.htm

There is also at least one Ethercat open source master repository out
there..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/soem.berlios/

Dave

  Apply for Membership

If you are interested in becoming a member of the EtherCAT Technology
Group, please proceed the following steps:

  * Contact <http://www.ethercat.org/en/contact.html> the ETG
    Headquarters or ask your local ETG office by phone or email.
  * All necessary information, e.g. requirements as well as the
    membership application form will be provided via email by ETG
    Headquarters.

You can download the ETG Membership By-Laws
<http://www.ethercat.org/en/downloads/downloads_6820D9C60B074CF9B9167468468C9B36.htm>

within the download section.

---