John,
The disc has 20 slots, about 2.5 deep except for the index slot which
is about .5 deep.  I can't see why I would need any more slots for
threading and more slots means higher encoder rates or slower spindle speeds.
I used the same design for the Monarch 10EE and it will reliably cut
90 tpi in several without wiping the thread.  Why would I possibly
want more slotss???

<Question - how many slots did you put on the
disc? I have an Emco Compact-8 that is the same size as yours, and I'm just
wondering what is the number most people use.>

Thanks - John.