Andy's idea made me think;  Take a look at a commercial pipe threading
machine.

They use a variety of a 3 jaw chuck that uses some type of scroll
mechanism which is actuated by an external ring which you hold in place.

The brand most common around here is "Rigid".    That setup would not
work for accurate metal turning but it might be fine for wood rotary
positioning.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/power-threading-machines

They are extremely common and if you can find an older unit you might be
able to pick one up cheaply and adapt it.

Dave

On 7/10/2015 2:08 PM, Andy Pugh wrote:

>> On 10 Jul 2015, at 18:02, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> xample, if
>> there is an index pulse on the encoder), you could use a
>> regular lathe chuck (either 3-jaw or 4-jaw self-centering)
>> and rig an "auto chuck wrench" for it.  Short linear slide
>> actuated by a small air cylinder.
> Or a scroll chuck actuated by a knurled ring.
> Then a simple brake can be used to hold the ring and operate the chuck.
> Of use a toothed belt and DC motor if you don't want the chuck to rotate
> during mounting.

---