I am tweaking my Emco 120P lathe that is driven by Berger-Lahr 5-phase stepper
motors and Oriental Motor Vexta UDX5128NA drivers.  Step/Dir is supplied by a
Mesa 6i25.  I want to know what maximum velocity I can reliably get from the
motors.  I have run them at 90ipm max for some time and have never had a
problem.  But we want to do some movements that require higher speeds (140-150
ipm) and I am wondering if I crank up the step pulses can they handle it.

I turned up the parameters in my .ini file in order to step at 150ipm and I get
what I think is good movement.  I moved around randomly and also in specific
increments and don’t see any error on the DRO.  What tests can I do to verify
that the machine can RELIABLY handle this speed?

The relevant section on the step/dir timing from the Vexta driver manuals are
here:
http://bgp.nu/~tom/pub/vexta-1.pdf
and
http://bgp.nu/~tom/pub/Vexta-2.pdf

My current .ini settings are:

[DISPLAY]
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY=2.5

[TRAJ]
MAX_VELOCITY=2.5

[AXIS_0]
MAX_VELOCITY=2.5
MAX_ACCELERATION=50
STEPGEN_MAXVEL=3.125
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL=62.50
DIRSETUP=10000
DIRHOLD=5000
STEPSPACE=5000
STEPSPACE=5000
STEP_SCALE=10159.997

AXIS_2]
identical to AXIS_0 (except for “-“ on STEP_SCALE)