Well, you can eliminate windows completely, if you have a phone or android
tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.machinekit.appdiscover&hl=en

I would argue that the ability to split the GUI from the engine is a good
thing overall, but at your core, you're still looking at having a full OS
sitting out there and the underlying architecture and filesystem layout can
not easily be circumvented.