On Thursday 24 September 2015 17:27:29 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 24 September 2015 15:32:02 andy pugh wrote:
> > On 24 September 2015 at 20:12, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
wrote:
> > > So any diddling of maps will be done with a G10 L2 P2 axis's which
> > > will adjust G55, leaving G54 in the as homed condition. IOW do the
> > > probing while G54 is in effect, but modify G55 with the results of
> > > the probing.
> >
> > It might help to note that G30.1 stores the current absolute
> > position into #5181 et. seq.
> > http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G30-G30_1
>
> I'll have to look at that.  What I do know from todays hacking so far,
> is that starting at homed, followed by an immediate G53 G1 X0 y0 z0,
> g10 L2 P2 x0 y0 z0 which is what the display says after being homed
> (which is 45mm's from the top of the post, and z home is parked at the
> instant the switch opens.
[...]
> Make me ask no one in particular if its 5 o-clock yet, someplace.
> Since its past 17:00 here, I'll take a diabetic near (2.3%) beer and
> the manual for its debug info.

Which it turns out, has been excised from the new users pdf, pointing us
at a header file in the source tree, which I of course do not have.
Really now?  9 out of 10 of us are running the binaries from the
buildbot, so remarks about genius's come to mind.

So please, put that data in the ini file DEBUG = 0xnnnnnnnn format back
into the users docs so we can at least submit meaninbgfull terminal
snapshots when stuff goes aglay.

> Thanks Andy.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

After posting this tirade, I went back out and redid the z axis homing so
it thinks z=0.000 is about 2mm's from the top of its available travel.
This means I have to pre-position it above the switch or it runs the
wrong direction looking for it.

Is there some way to make that initial search direction automatic?

And somewhere in all the restarts to play with that, the program exceeds
z limits errors went away.  So now I am fine tuning that program I wrote
for the toy mill to run with the slightly different offsets that moving
the jig from the small machine to the bigger one needs to do its jig
locations on.

Marching along, adding more global vars so there is only one place to
change when something needs changed, the ER20 let go of the mill and
dropped it into the jig, digging a slot about an inch deep in perfectly
solid white ash.  And it was tightened about 1/4 turn from broke when
the spindle was started.

This hex nut on the adapter has an eccentric internal ridge that may not
be properly engaging the groove where the two angles meet on the outside
of a collet, and the only reason I can see to explain its existance at
all is to engage that groove on the collet to forcibly disengage the
collet from the taper when the nut is loosened.

If that is the reasoning, I don't think this nut is working as it was
designed to.  Once today I installed a mill and snugged it up pretty
good, only to have the mill display a 1/8" run out at the end of the
mill because this eccentric internal ridge apparently didn't drop
properly into the groove in the collet, but was wedging it crossways.

Should I ask for a better nut, or will this one break in given enough
time?

You fellows are the ER-8/16/20/32 experts. I never saw one of them in
person until about 16:00 yesterday.

Anyway I am back to making progress, if I can keep a tool solidly
mounted.

Thanks everybody.  Shuteye time in WV.