>Usually sserial errors like that are related to power issues on the 7I77.
>Make sure that the 7I77 and 5I25 are jumpered for external 7I77 5V power (not
>cable power) and that the external 5V suppled to the 7I77 is within 5% margins

>Peter Wallace
>Mesa Electronics

I changed 5vdc power from the cable/5i25 to an external wall wart
measuring 5.13Vdc.  I also tried another wall wart measuring 4.9Vdc.
The 5.13Vdc power supply worked better and longer, but ultimately it
still failed with communication errors and extra characters.  The
4.9Vdc PS didn't work any better than 5v supplied from the 5i25.

I also reflashed everything, just to try it, no difference.

Then, I found a thread on the LinuxCNC forum about checking pins 3 &4
on TB5.  I turned off the PC, pulled out the field wiring (both 24vdc
tb2, and I/O on tb8), and pulled out the TB5 connectors and measure
0.01Vdc across 3 and 4.  I left the external 5vdc on.

I did notice that the jumper W2 for Encoder 2 Z channel was set to the
right (differential) and should have been to the left (single ended),
so I must have moved that or had it in the wrong position.  Maybe I
did that accidentally when trying to update the 7i77.

Wondering if I have a bad board and what to try next?

Mark