On Friday 13 November 2015 09:38:43 Rick Lair wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> Does anyone know in the documentation where to get any info on setting
> up my rotary axis, I can't find any thing in the manuals on how to get
> it connected properly, without doing a bunch of excess programming.

Its an axis Rick, and will need the same hardware as driver for whatever
motor you have on it. Mine has a stepper motor, and the stanza in
the .ini file looks like this:

[AXIS_3]
TYPE = ANGULAR
HOME = 0.0
MAX_VELOCITY = 50.0
MAX_ACCELERATION = 100.0
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 200.0
SCALE = 320.0
FERROR = 1
MIN_FERROR = .25
MIN_LIMIT = -100000000
MAX_LIMIT = 100000000
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL=0.0
#HOME_SEQUENCE=3
BACKLASH = 0.056

Driving it with a 2M542 driver, hooked as (from the .hal file)

setp    stepgen.3.position-scale [AXIS_3]SCALE
setp    stepgen.3.steplen       1
setp    stepgen.3.stepspace     0
setp    stepgen.3.dirhold       10000
setp    stepgen.3.dirsetup      10000
setp    stepgen.3.maxaccel      [AXIS_3]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
net     apos-cmd        axis.3.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.3.position-cmd
net     apos-fb         stepgen.3.position-fb => axis.3.motor-pos-fb
net     astep <=        stepgen.3.step
net     adir <=         stepgen.3.dir
net     aenable         axis.3.amp-enable-out => stepgen.3.enable
net     astep =>        parport.0.pin-08-out
setp    parport.0.pin-08-out-reset      1
net     adir =>         parport.0.pin-09-out

You'll have to "home" it, even if its not plugged in at the time.

Be sure the cable to the motor is never plugged, or unplugged, without
first turning off the driver power.  Drivers in general do not tolerate
that at all well.

With a servo motor, I highly recommend jon's (Pico systems) PWM-Servo
amplifier, its bulletproof and can handle up to 160 volts dc for the
motor supply.  I've used it for a spindle motor driver twice now.

It can reverse the 1 hp motor of my G0704 from 2700 rpms fwd to 2700 rpms
reverse in a small fraction over 1 second elapsed time. G33.1's are done
before you can think about it for small taps.  Just make sure the chuck
holding the tap is tightened to about 1 degree from broken, because if
it slips, the tap is history.

I've been looking for a tap holder that grabs the square on the butt of
the tap, but those things it seems all have a different, unique size.