Hi, and very lots of respect for this great software with this huge
possibilities!
I did some years till now of try to collecting experiences in this.
I did attach a "small" diode Laser on my CNC (by simpliy switch it on
and off via the "M7, M8.. coolant comands) and want to do some more
advanced controll in this.
know i did found the great
https://github.com/area515/sharktooth_linuxCNC
(a kind of "rework" of this:)
https://github.com/bjj/2x_laser
a highlight for me is the "magic Z"  it link in the HAL to fire the laser.
I think it would be the better, if you can switch the Z-axis on and off
But i got an error, if i uncomment this in the Hal
<https://github.com/area515/sharktooth_linuxCNC/blob/master/2x_Laser.hal> file
of the "sharktooth-config"
124:    #net zpos-cmd axis.2.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.2.position-cmd
124:    #net zpos-fb stepgen.2.position-fb => axis.2.motor-pos-fb
170:     net zpos-fb <= axis.2.joint-pos-fb => laser-magic-z-comp.in0
I sadly just understand the basics of doing the .ini .hal and programm a
custompannel for me.
My ideas to do this would be:
1. use a some kind of checkbox in the custompannel to enable the Z-axis
and do the changes in "software" in the HAL
2. use a some kind of checkbox in the custompannel to enable the Z-axis
and do switch a digital out linked hardware to the z-enable pin of
the stepper controller
3.use a simply hardware switch to the z-enable pin of the stepper
controller manually

thanks lot for your help!

Chris
P.s.: might be some interesting cam software:
http://www.scorchworks.com/
http://www.multixmedia.org/cammill/ (with a very nice "overcut" funktion)