On 12/07/2015 08:22 AM, Paul Lacatus (Personal) wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am using for some time Linux CNC on a small proxxon MF70
> for small PCB or small faceplate . Right now the computer
> is a tower PC with a celeron 900MHz that is bigger than
> the MF70.  I found a thin client computer from  Fujitsu
> Siemens Futro S400 that has the 1GB CF card ( the "hard
> drive") defective  and my ideea is to use it for linuxcnc
> computer. One solution is to use a bigger card of 8 GB for
> installing the linuxCNC   and nfs volumes on a server for
> data . The specs for the computer are in the attached pdf
> file . Has somebody experience of using linuxcnc on thin
> client computers ?

Apparently, it has a printer port, so that is how you'd
connect the motion hardware.  The processor speed is not
horrible, but not up to the latest tech, either.  256 MB of
main memory is not enough, 512 MB is pretty iffy, and you
would likely have to run one of the older versions of
LinuxCNC.  It isn't clear how much memory your specific unit
has.  if more than 512 MB, you are probably OK.

The remaining thing is how good the latency test is, the
only way to know is to try it.

Jon