On Monday 07 December 2015 11:13:45 andy pugh wrote:

> On 7 December 2015 at 15:53, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> > I would just get some vitreous enamel resistors.  They are
> > not that expensive, even new.
>
> Or higher-power lower-resistance for a faster discharge.
> http://www2.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtual
>keyTHS50560RJ
>
> As the capacitance and voltage rise you get to the point that the
> bleed-of resistor becomes an electric heater, but I think you may be
> below that point.
>
> My mill has 6600uF at 300V, and I wanted a 10 second discharge
> That means a 500R resistor,
> A 500R resistor permanently across a 300V bus dissipates 180W. And
> that's a pretty big resistor. Which is why, in my case, I decided to
> only switch-in the resistor at power-off.
>
> With less capacitance, and lower voltage, the power requirement falls
> rapidly. (with the square of V).
>
> 120V and 3300uF comes out at a far more reasonable 14W with a 1K
> resistor

I have nominally 63 volts and nearly 100k u-f to discharge.  I have a
similar getup on the lathe at slightly lower total voltage (107) & quite
a bit less u-f, and its about 15 minutes to screwdriver safe.  3 or 4
minutes until the bulb is dark.

This may need the switched load if you want to work in it without going
in and re-boreing an empty coffee cup & refilling it for a time
killer. :)

Some mill pix are at:
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/GO704-pix>