On 01/01/2016 12:23 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> Is there any reason to think that the 2x3 screened pairs in that cable
> will be unsuitable for transporting smart-serial data

The bandwidth of rs232 style serial connections is so low that you will
not see any problems with twisted pairs. I assume that you are not
connecting half a kilometer of cable with a speed higher than 115k2 baud
(or you may run into capacitive loading problens).

Pairing TX and RX with a GND may actually improve noise immunity. But
the cable is already well shielded.

> (if I can persuade an RJ45 connector on to them)?

That is actually a hard thing to do on these cables. The isolation is
very hard and does not bend easily. Standard crimp-connectors will be
almost impossible to attach while ensuring a mechanically stable
connection. There is also a minimum bend-radius which can be rather large.

These cables are normally used as distribution cables and go into female
plug assemblies with seperate holding facilities for the cable.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)