On 01/19/2016 09:45 AM, TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> clear me up on in this...
> about very slow motion with steppers and servos
>
> assuming the minimum position change is .001mm
> ( commanded step or feedback unit
>     so:  a single step moves .001"
>      and any feedback has .001 resolution )
>
> when the system gets a command to move another .001mm,
> what happens when the velocity requested is .001mm per second?
>
> in a stepper system, does it go clunk and wait 999millisecss?
> (or wait 999 then go clunk, or at 500mSec etc.)?
Yes.
> in a servo system does it crawl towards the destination over the whole
> second?

When I first converted my Bridgeport over to using velocity
servo amps with tachometer feedback, I wanted to measure
this.  I hooked a scope up to the current sensing for the
motor, and moved at slower and slower velocities until the
motor current got "lumpy", indicating some stick-slip
friction.  This showed up at about .01 IPM!  I did some
calculation to figure the tach was producing 7 uV at that
speed.  Just to see what would happen, I shorted the tach
out with a screwdriver.  The servo amp immediately faulted.
That proved that is was still closing the velocity loop,
even at 7 uV.  The encoder was producing 3.33 quadrature
counts/second.  I verified that the stick-slip was NOT
harmonically related to that frequency.  So, the velocity
servo system WAS maintaining the steady motion velocity
until the slide just got too sticky to keep it steady any
slower.

So, with a properly tuned velocity servo system, it WILL
maintain smooth motion down to insanely low speeds.  Without
tach feedback, such as on my PWM systems, the only way to
know velocity is from the encoder counts.  If you have a
high resolution encoder, it can give a steady stream of
counts at low speed.  With a low res encoder, there are long
periods between counts, where the position and velocity are
unknown to the PID, and so it has to ASSUME that the
velocity has not changed.

Jon