I hadn't seen this mentioned on the list, but maybe I missed it, or I
read it and my old brain forgot.

I had a few old used PCs that I purchased for LinuxCNC 2.5.x.  I ran the
latency test before buying them and the results were fairly good.  Then
I decided to standardize on Atom motherboards for all of my little CNC
projects.  I donated a PC to a friend, he installed LinuxCNC 2.7 from
the latest LiveCD and had horrible latency issues.  I made a LinuxCNC
house call and saw maximum jitter greater than 500,000 ns.  We did the
updates to everything and the jitter dropped to around 12,000 ns, a
little better than I originally saw with LinuxCNC 2.5.x.  His little
C-Beam Machine desktop router is now humming along nicely (and noisily).

I'm a little interested in why the latency was so bad before updating,
but mostly I posted this so people would know to run the updates before
doing the latency test, and would realize that running the latency test
from the live version running off a USB drive wouldn't be a proper test
of whether a PC is a good candidate for LinuxCNC.