Heidenhain also sells absolute encoders that output SSI.
I've used them before.   They are expensive.   As I recall $800-$900 for
a rotary one.
If they are wired wrong they can easily be destroyed...  An electrician
kept changing the wiring and destroyed two of them before I could
intervene.
He would come in very early and must have been asleep while working!

Dave