On 16/02/16 10:21, Bertho Stultiens wrote:
> It seems that the micro-switches are well suited for the purpose, but I
> guess some hard (unbiased) data has yet to be gathered (outside of a mill).

The alternatives seem to have the same problems of repeatability. Using
a hall sensor or optical one will give the same problems. Micro-switches
are at least inherently mechanically constrained.

I do look at the kit available and wonder if simply adding scale bars
locked to the table aren’t a sensible compromise here? You have an
absolute on on the machine which can be used not only to define a home
position, but also to add limits based on the actual job? Which could be
used where the natural home position IS in the middle of the work piece.
I'm not talking about a set of inputs that are used as part of any
closed loop control, but simply as has been done in the past, a check
that particular points are in the right place. It could be used to
measure the current backlash between the motion elements and the base
machine, with a 'calibrate' cycle as part of the home process?

Cheap Chinese readout bars can be used as one can easily compensate for
the latency between readings, and I know in essence you are discussing
the provision of a 'hardware' zero point on the axis, but as a cross
check that the machine has not missed steps, or a flexible means of
moving the machine to a fixed position to recover after a collision or
stall it has merit?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL