On Tuesday 23 February 2016 04:21:11 andy pugh wrote:

> On 23 February 2016 at 02:59, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I looked in the handbook, I made the cutter out of A2, which needs
> > 1700-1800F for first heating, is air quenched, then annealed by
> > bringing it back to around 1300F but didn't see for how long, or
> > what they call an air quench. But I don't think I've any way to get
> > it up to 1800F in the first place.  Best heater I have ATM is a nat
> > gas fired 4 burner cook stove, or a bernz-o-matic
>
> I would imagine that you can do it with the Bernz-o-matic, but you
> would need to be using MAPP gas and a firebrick hearth.

Funny thing about mapp gas + the yellow oxygen, I bought 2 each and a
micro-torch, found the valves were uncontrollable and put it on the
shelf including the un-tapped cans. 18 months later I thought I'd make
another pass at making it work, and all 4 cans were empty!  I'll have to
see if I can find another kit the next time I am someplace that may
carry it, depending on how long this A2 stays usably sharp without being
hardened.  Firebrick I think I could source there too.  But I'd only
need a crucible about the size of a large communion cup.

> I have certainly heat-treated moderately-sized parts that way.
> I see this on ebay.com
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/131543951302

That looks like it would take a serious amount of fire for something that
big. Just 3 bricks should be plenty of backdrop I'd assume.

This seems like it might be a use case for a prince albert can full of
bone meal and a blacksmiths charcoal forge.  Even a wood fire fed by a
vacuum motor blowing into the bottom ought to get hot enough for that &
I need a good excuse to burn some yard trimmings anyway, or even a
couple snow shovels full of scraps from behind the chop saw.

A bag of fire clay & a tin gallon paint bucket would make a big enough
forge for this. A central hole just the right size to stack it full of
charcoal briquettes.

Thanks for the brain tickle, Andy.