And there are some that do both 1 *AND* 2.  Look at the Xilinx Zynq for
example.  Dual gigahertz A9 cores w/ a FPGA core (Spartan/Virtex) that IIRC
is larger than the one used for the Mesa 5i25.  Could run a zillion
channels of PWM or even hostmot2.  We were porting some code to it for a
work project that had 16+ PWM channels. We didn't need linux but were still
only using one core to do real time control.

SMD