Hi everyone,

On 26.03.2016 17:40, Dave Cole wrote:
> On 3/26/2016 3:59 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Electronics have improved but then it come to mechanics or servo drives are
>> there any new innovations?
>
>>> Electronics have improved but then it come to mechanics or servo drives are
>>> there any new innovations?
>
> Yes, they make and sell things now that could not be made economically 40
> years ago.  Digital servo drives are a big improvement over analog servo
> drives.  Plus many of them are programmable so they can run motion routines
> with little assistance.   Then there are network connected Digital servo
> drives and those get rid of a lot of wiring.

one change/improvement I see is a move towards linear motors instead of
spindle/belt drives. And parallel kinematics (tripod, hexapod) seem to
become more popular, mainly because the required algorithms can now
fairly easily be implemented due to plenty of processing power.

When it comes to small-scale systems operating in the sub-micrometer
areas, piezoelectric actuators may be considered a recent innovation.

Regards,
Philipp