I've been doing the controls for a manufacturer of large core drill
machines for about 10 years. The machines are made to drill holes in
concrete structures that make up sewer systems.
The machines can drill up to 60" holes using diamond segmented tipped bits.

Diamond bits work great for concrete and stone and they do ok when
sawing through the wire reinforcement in the concrete as well (up to
about 1/2" rebar reinforcement).
Water is always used with those bits for maximum life.   However they
don't need a lot of water.  Just enough to wash away the grindings.
With smaller bits (12-24") in diameter, the machines can achieve feed
rates of 4-5 inches per minute even when chewing through wire
reinforcement.   Diamond tipped saw blade "teeth" are really tiny
diamonds in an alloy matrix which rubs against the material to be cut.
Its really more of a grinding process than a cutting process.   A good
diamond tipped concrete core drill can drill through 100+ feet of
concrete before needing to be re-tipped if the core drill is treated
properly.

I've never heard of diamond bits being used to solely cut cast iron.   I
would think that Carbide or HSS would be preferable.

Dave