On 24 May 2016, at 17:22, BRIAN GLACKIN wrote:

> I concur with Nicklaus. This looks like normal wood grain (each year ring
> having a harder and softer section) with the exception of the near center
> of view.  In this case it looks like the grain was compressed near a
> branch/knot.  This is all mute it that is not a piece of wood.
>
> On Tuesday, May 24, 2016, Nicklas Karlsson <nicklas.karlsso...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I can see the figure but are nor sure I could see the tool marks. Is the
>> wood dry? Are you feeding to fast?
>>
>> On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
>> "Todd                      Zuercher" <zuerc...@embarqmail.com
>> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know the root cause of tool marks like this? Or better yet how to
>> prevent them? The lines are not in a straight line or consistent angle, in
>> fact there are places on this piece where they wave up and down.
>>>
>>> The tool is a 1/4inch solid carbide down spiral, cutting at 200ipm
>> turning 17,000rpm cutting 1/2" MDF

So if it's MDF, it can't be grain patterns.
I think its simply vibration.
Can you use a cutter with a much greater diameter (say 1inch or more)?
That would at least reduce the frequency of the vibrations, and the amplitude.
Can you take cuts less deep? That would reduce the stress on the cutter.

Marcus