On Friday 12 August 2016 17:31:30 Ed wrote:

> On 08/12/2016 03:39 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 12 August 2016 14:24:19 Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings all;
> >>
> >> At what temp do I have to get a piece of hot roll to in order to
> >> soften the ultra hard core of the steel?  Is it something this
> >> toaster oven can achieve given enough soak time at about 425F?
>
> Add about 1000 degrees F to that for an anneal.

Which is why I ordered up enough stuff to make one of those $40 chinese
1kw gizmo's run today.

> >> Doing the hole, which I haven't tapped yet, for the 4mm gib
> >> adjuster screw last night, I started with a freshly DrillDoc
> >> sharpened quality 3.44mm bit.
>
> Drill Doctors are not a high quality or high accuracy sharpener but
> they are handy. They are known to leave a "heel" behind the cutting
> edge, that might be your problem, give it some more clearance behind
> the edge. I wore one of them completely out and am working on another.

I have 2, the 2nd, newer, smaller one is a POS compared to the original
model.

I see a couple shiny spots on the heel this time, I did not after the
previous sharpening session and use on another piece of the same steel
bar.  I did get the hole tapped, but its sloppy.

> I had much the same problem building the front clamp.  Cold rolled
> would work much easier, but I'd have to buy that online, whereas the
> hot roll is in the bins at TSC.
>

> Good hot rolled drills easier than CR, bad HR may have hard spots.

I must never have had any good hot roll then.

This stuff is horrible, even chips up brand new T'coated SC mills.

> drill a LOT of both. If you have doubts about the quality cut part way
> through with a hacksaw and bend it, and look for an obvious change in
> texture

This is obvious enough, it will dull a brand new Starret 32 tpi blade
sawing off one 4.5" piece.  The center 1/4x3/8 of a 1/2x1 bar may as
well be diamond dust.

> > I found a pdf, from ASM International, 18 pages describing in text
> > and TT maps, what happens to steel as its heated and cooled.  But
> > somehow I am failing to make the connection to the temp, time at
> > temp, and cooling rate to get the easiest to machine finished piece.
>
> For most low or medium carbon steel  heat to 1450F and cool in the
> furnace or if no furnace bury it in Vermiculite insulation to cool to
> under 100F
>
> >   Thats ASM #05144G.
> > The fact that the TSC stuff carries no label describing its alloying
> > materials and percentages is also "missing" info.
>
> Unless otherwise marked TSC steel is 1008 to 1018 steel alias A36.
>
> > I know in the early '50's that making the stuff drillable for cotter
> > keys in the ends of some 5/8" shafting about 15" long was a matter
> > of heating them pretty bright red on the ends, and air cooling, but
> > other than necks of ammo being annealed for reloading longevity,
> > that is about the extent of my knowledge if you throw in what you
> > can do to a puddle of steel with a smith wrench.  That is a whole
> > science in and of itself.
> >
> > So, some recommendations, particularly for just the maximum
> > machining ductility, and how best to measure that temp on the cheap,
> > would be much appreciated.
>
> Heat with a torch to IHC tractor red and cool slowly, if you do not
> prefer IHC then try Massey red.

I thought that all came out of the same 55 gallon drum?

I think, given enough time, this Chinese gizmo can do that from what I've
seen it do on you-tube.

Cooling slowly seems like a matter of turning the variac down over an
overnight period once the target temp has been obtained, with what I
have in mind.

> Ed.

Thanks Ed.  I'm a bit schmardter, I think.  Time will judge that.