> ---- John Alexander Stewart <ivatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Agree that LinuxCNC is fantastic.
>> >
>> > What gets me is the number of Mach3 users - why don't they switch? Is it
>> > that they are (essentially) computer illiterate, and know only Windows
>> > (barely), or is it just momentum in the home hobbyist field??

I think many Mach3 users do not care, or even know, what is running
their mill or router. They want to make parts, not play with machine
controls.

The hobby cnc world has moved on in the last few years. When I got into
this- nearly 20 years ago- you had to build your own, there were no
choices. Now there are dozens of builders of whole machines, software
included, ready to just 'plug and play' The world is full of 'makers'
that want to make things, not work with software. And remember, windows
won the desktop battle a long time ago.

I just bought an amazing little router- 4 axis, nicely built and
finished, very nice control console, with a built in VFD for the 800
watt water cooled spindle all for $900 shipped to my door in 4 days. It
included a (cracked) copy of Mach3. I am sure most people installing and
using it have no clue that linuxcnc, or any other software even exists,
let alone will try to install it.

I am happy to be among the group that likes to play with my control
software, but I am sure that puts me, and most of the people reading
this, into a very small community-  maybe this is something we are the 1% :)

ron ginger