CNC is one of those acronyms that we are stuck with.

The more things chance the more they stay the same.

The term "Horseless Carriage' has mostly died out except here in Colorado where
they still issue legacy "Horseless Carriage" license plates for extremely old
vehicles. But today they still call the 4 wheelers a CAR (riage) and
Auto-mobile.

Note that in G-Code we still use M2 to indicate the end of a program and many
machines still use M30 which was the original M-Code to start the rewind of the
NC paper tape back to the leader section. The % sign was used to indicate the
end of the feed leader and beginning of the actual program. At the tail end the
% told the teltype to punch the trailing leader (3' to 7' different machine
readers had different needs).

A good way to describe the differences between CNC and NC would be that you
could not edit an NC program. If there were changes you could load a tape, line
by line, via teletype with tape reader, add or remove commands by typing them
in as a new tape was made. Another legacy factor that still haunts us is that
NC code did not support cutter compensation and was all spindle center. Most
CAD/CAM systems still program this way only using G41/G42 for very minor wear
corrections. ( hang the lazy b@$tards )

An NC tape reading control - that would read a single line of code and execute
it, then advance the tape reading the next line and execute etc. BTW this is
also where the history of the term Single block came from, not allowing the
tape reader to read the next line until you pressed the start button. A 2 axis
control unit was the size of a US family home refrigerator, or 1m x 1m x 2m for
those elsewhere in the world.

I still have a few coffee cans full of the Aluminum 35mm film cans with many of
the punched tapes I had to make in College to earn the title of CNC Machinist
and programmer.

Anyone remember Florida and the issue of "Dangling shards". That is the horror
story of paper tape. Once you made a good part. Cut and passed QC inspection
you ran the paper tape back through and punched good quality mylar tape that
was dependable.

Now, slowly we might see CNC fade out. I see 3D printer and pick and place
machines that have just a 2 line display and loads program via USB or SDHC card
and just runs, no provisions for editing at the machine itself.

In the very high end manufacturing machines I could see a single control
terminal running an entire flexible machining cell, or even multiple cells.
Likely it would use a tablet device as a slave to allow remote access when
setting up a specific machine.

Automation doesn't really put too many people out of work, it just shifts job
titles and responsibilities. Switching over to robots to load and unload
machines caused a huge improvement in quality since the part to part time
interval was consistent, as well as less dropped parts and a cleaner work
environment for operators. It provided time for operators to do actual
measurements vs depending on simple go/nogo gages.

Greg, Out yonder in Colorado