Chris;

I only would request B-Directional as a time saver.  I had a HAAS 5C indexer
which used stepper motors and it was reasonably fast - even so, indexing often
was the largest portion of total program run time. For small indexers that most
of us will make from small rotary tables, they will likely be driven by low end
steppers. These cheap rotary tables are also notorious for having tight spots
because the gear was not mounted perfectly concentric. As the home builder/
converter we have to go to the lowest common denominator and keep the max step
rate down to where the motor has excess torque at the tightest area.  Moving
Negative 60 degrees is alot faster than moving 300 degrees. This is fine for a
hobby user, but I earn a major portion of my income from production machine
jobs. Some say time is money, but more importantly you can never buy more time.
I have worked 20hr days to meet delivery deadlines and God as my witness you
can look at me now and know I really needed that beauty slee
 p!

The remote cycle start and cycle ready/complete are function options on most
commercial CNC machines - how they are used is up to the machine integrator.
Same in LCNC.There is no specific LCNC code for this, but there are definable M
codes and depending on your hardware will determine how you would configure
this. LCNC would have no "Knowledge" of indexer position, only if its ready or
moving.  I guess you could add another output for home that could be used to
verify that all moves in the cycle had completed properly. ( The sum of all
incremental moves would bring indexer back to its starting point. )

You are also correct about the mechanics - every table seems to have its own
individual custom requirements. A company I worked for bought 5 "identical"
units and was intending to use a single servo to drive them all. Each one had
bolt holes in different locations. I swear I think most Chicom machines are
just free hand drilled with a drill press without even doing hole position
layout.

Greg