On 10/12/2016 04:15 AM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
... snip
> Another diagnostic would be to halscope the index pulse itself assuming you
> can move slowly enough to detect it in the servo thread, index pulses are
> often 1 encoder pitch wide (1/2048 in your case) so you would have to move
> more slowly than 2s seconds per turn to reliably detect it at a 1 KHz servo
> thread
... snip

I recently had Z axis homing problems on my HNC lathe. I watched the
encoder signals with HALscope while turning the screw forward and back
by hand. I lost position over a few cycles. It turned out to be a bad
capacitor that was causing the encoder voltage regulator to randomly
shutdown. I removed the capacitor and function was restored. So, your
problem may be like this, where the fault may not be consistent or obvious.

Kirk Wallace