On 28/10/16 06:57, Danny Miller wrote:
> You wouldn't likely save the g-code on the SD card at all.
>
> You'd have a wifi connection and load the g-code from your local network.

Or even better the USB stick one has always used to avoid even having a
network connection active?

> Those SD cards are used for storing photos and video quickly.
> Photographers and videographers use TONS of memory over and over., and
> quite frankly I never heard of someone wearing one out.
>
> This isn't a drop in the bucket compared to those high-stress uses. It
> will go obsolete long before the SD card wears out.
>
> They do employ load-leveling where it won't keep resaving over the same
> block of memory.  The file structure is unaware of it but if you keep
> rewriting a cache file, it moves it up and down across the whole SD card
> slowly, so it never wears out.

Having replaced a number of XP computers with Raspberry Pi's rather than
the stupidly expensive M$ route of new hardware that could run current
windows OS I can say I've not had any problems with the SD cards over
several years now. I did put Banana Pi's in early on, with SATA SSD
sticks, but the extra cost was probably not necessary.

Moving forward it would perhaps be nice to see a credit card computer
with an mSATA slot on board? But I don't think there is any particular
need for that.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL