On Wed, 2 Nov 2016, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 09:12:46 -0700
> From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] 7i90HD programming
>
> OK so some new computers have obsolete ports that are not supported by the
> software that comes with them.
>
> Question, can the 7i90 be flashed using some other method like JTAG.   Of
> course it can,  but does Mesa make it reasonably easy?

Sure you can flash the card via JTAG with Xilinx tools, but is really doing
things the hard way (Xilinx tools for writing PROM files are quite terrible
especially if you want to support relocatable bifiles as mesaflash does)

Mesaflash is the preferred way,but this requires a working host interface. Of
the avalable host interfaces in the 7I90 (EPP, RS-422 Serial, SPI), EPP is the
one most likely to be available to a user (Currently most if not all OS level
SPI drivers are so riddled with bugs as to be useless, while JTAG and RS-422
require special hardware)

This is why default 7I90 programming is EPP

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Todd Zuercher <zuerc...@embarqmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Rumors of the parallel ports demise are greatly exaggerated.  People have
>> been saying it is dead for nearly 20 years, yet you can still buy new PCs
>> and equipment that have one without much difficulty.  The new Linovo PC on
>> my office desk that was bought for doing Windows/cad work (no consideration
>> for needing a pp when shopping for it) still has a parallel port header on
>> the motherboard, even though the 64-bit Windows OS that came on it doesn't
>> support it.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)