On 11/17/2016 01:11 AM, hubert wrote:
> I have a step and Direction driven AC Servo spindle with encoder output
> that is supposedly capable of rigid tapping.  I want to tap some 1/4
> inch aluminum with M3x0.5 spiral flute HSS tap. Initially I have the
> spindle speed set at 150 rpm.

Start about 1000 RPM. I tap 5/8-11 at 400RPM 1 1/4" deep in steel in a lathe

>   What type of tapping cycle should I use,
> Continuous, or some type of peck cycle.

Tap it in one shot if you are using a spiral point or a spiral flute
tap. If you are using a straight flute tap then tap one diameter deep
maximum then finish by hand. Proper lube is needed, use a commercial
lube or try lard.