A little success!
I substituted an X-box joystick for my test mouse. hal_input now works  as
expected and show pins displays switch status on the joystick unit. I didn't
have to use a udev rules.d file; things just worked. I conclude that either
a mouse doesn't work with hal-input or I have a mistake in my rules file.

Thanks for the help. I'm certain that I'll be back with more questions.

Xeon