Hi:

I have a CNC mill that I am considering replacing the control with LinuxCNC.
The motors are the red cap Fanuc units.  I have enquired on this mailing list
about using the existing servo amps and motors.  From all the replies and help
(thank you very much)  I haved concluded that a good solution for me is to
remove the Fanuc encoders and amps  and replace them with suitable units that
can communicate on an industry standard format.  To that end I am considering
using some AMT31 programmable encoders by CUI (or other encoder suitable for 8
pole motors) and some BE40A8 AMC amps that I have sitting on my shelf.

I am aware of the rpm/voltage relationship with brush DC motors.  Generally, as
the voltage rises the motor rpm increases a proportional amount.  How does the
voltage influence the performance of the brushless motor?  The Fanuc motors are
5S models, 126 V (DC?), 5.8A stall.  The BE40A8 have a maximum running voltage
of 80 VDC.  Will running the motors at the lower voltage result in dramatically
reduced performance?  Will it cause other electrical problems like an excessive
rise in current demand by the motor?

Thanks for your help - Steve V