On Wednesday 15 February 2017 14:13:17 Valerio Bellizzomi wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 12:45 -0600, dragon wrote:
> > The 20ma control circuit on the VFD is an analog control, where as
> > the parallel port pin is a digital (on/off) signal. You will need
> > some sort of hardware interface between the two to do a digital to
> > analog conversion.
>
> is there a list of supported hardware, that I could buy on ebay ?
> I was looking at
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware
>
> I have already 3 stepper drivers mounted in a metal box with their
> power supply, I would need only a small interface for the spindle.

Using software stepping? I'd still use a pwmgen module in the computer to
drive the vfd, but I'd put a SpinX1, from Mesa between them, for the
noise isolation (vfd's are noisy electrically), and the control is quite
linear. I would put the pwmgen in the PDMgen mode, see the man page as
that removes the need to dither the pulse width because each step is
fixed, the dither keeps it at the requested speed. But with PDM, you
don't need the dither.  With SW pwmgens, I'd choose a refresh rate below
the servothread by about half, the vfd shouldn't mind.