It looks like some kind of RF noise generator.   Actually the file path
name with "TIG" in it gives it away.

On Feb 20, 2017 5:30 PM, "dave" <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

I think you just answered your own question. I suspect the spark gap
generated the hi-freq that makes non-contact arc start possible. If you
remember the earliest transmitters were a spark gap ... eg. wide-band
noise.

W  in your tig weld is a cause for automatic rejection (missile
propellant loading system piping.  It shows up on the x-ray as a really
white spot; much more radio-opaque than 18-8 SS. I'm told that a
majority  of present day  TIG is still done with scratch start. I
suppose when you do it all the  time scratch is easy.
HTH

Dave