Search on ebay for STM32F103.  These are 72MHz ARM Cortex M3 (if I recall).

They are as easy to use as an Arduino Mini Pro, but a bit more trouble than an
Arduino Nano, as you need to use a usb to ttl serial cable to download.  These
aren't in the same league as a Pi, but way better than an AVR.

-- Ralph

On Feb 22, 2017 7:26 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2/22/2017 12:36 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> Now that ARM based boards are available for under $5 I've completely
> moved away from AVR.

I'm missing something.

Where can you buy ARM based boards for under $5.00?  Or did you mean $50 ?

The Arduino Zero is $54 -$40 and the Neutrino, the kickstarter clone of
the Zero is $19 if you can buy one.
Both boards also work with the Atmel ICE as well apparently.

Dave